5 IRS Identity Theft Tips
There are a number of organizations with helpful resources if your identity has been stolen this tax season or you feel that your identity might be misused. And do you know what kinds of emails to expect from the IRS so you know that the communication is legitimate?
1. The IRS has a special office called the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit which can assist you if you feel your identity might be misused due to the loss of personal information. Contact them at 1-800-908-4490.
2. The IRS never initiates contact with taxpayers through email. Therefore all email appearing to originate from the IRS are fraudulent unless in response to an inquiring that you began.
3. Visit IRS.gov for reporting scams and for reporting bogus IRS web sites.
4. The Federal Trade Commission has similar identity theft resources and can be reached at 1-877-ID-THEFT.
5. OnGuardOnline.gov is another resource for online protections from the federal government and the technology industry.